10 abril 2016

On first looking into Chapman’s Homer

John Keats

Much have I travell’d in the realms of gold,
   And many goodly states and kingdoms seen;
   Round many western islands have I been
Which bards in fealty to Apollo hold.
Oft of one wide expanse had I been told
   That deep-brow’d Homer ruled as his demesne;
   Yet did I never breathe its pure serene
Till I heard Chapman speak out loud and bold:
Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
   When a new planet swims into his ken;
Or like stout Cortez when with eagle eyes
   He star’d at the Pacific – and all his men
Look’d at each other with a wild surmise –
   Silent, upon a peak in Darien.

Fonte (versos 9-14): Dawkins, R. 2000. Desvendando o arco-íris. SP, Companhia das Letras. Poema publicado em livro em 1817.

0 Comentários:

Postar um comentário

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker